Sunday, July 24, 2011

Progress on the Strappy Sundress -- Part 2

Well, this dress isn't getting done nearly as quickly as I'd hoped, but hey! half the reason I sew is because it's fun, not because I need clothes.

I put a few hours into experimenting with the binding only to discover that the way I did it originally is probably the best way after all.  I was trying to reduce bulk by eliminating one of the layers of binding, but in the end I found that that extra layer gave the binding a stiffness that it needed to lie down properly,  And I'd really had my heart set on using a specialty stitch for attaching it, but I just couldn't get it to behave.  I know that if I get the right combination of stitch length, stitch width, foot pressure and thread tension it's going to work.  I just lost patience with it this time around.  So most of my binding is attached with a 3.0 zigzag.  I feel like I failed somehow  :-(

In any event, I did get the dress done...but it still needs some work.  It's a little too snug across the hips and I messed up the hem.  I need to redraft the side seams to give myself a bit more room and fix the hem curve, then cut a new dress.  I knew there was a reason I bought 6 yards of this fabric  :-)  

No comments:

Post a Comment