Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Girls' Shirred Sundress -- Finally Finished

 Ordinarily, it doesn't take me this long to finish a project.  Summertime chaos sometimes takes its toll, though.

But this dress is finished and it's very, very cute.  Rather than make straps at the shoulders that tie for an adjustable fit, I decided to measure and sew on straps of the exact length.  If this dress ends up being worn through the winter (or next spring and summer as a top) then I can always put other straps on later.

I made this dress using a piece of Northcott quilting cotton.  It very soft and pretty, the colors of the print are vibrant and the fabric is just plain nice to touch.

I started by measuring from underarm to hem to determine the length (29 inches), and  I used the entire 44 inch width of the fabric for width. In my experience, shirring with elastic thread always works best if the fabric is about twice the body measurement.

I first hemmed the top edge using my 4mm hemming foot, the bottom edge is done with the 6mm hemming foot.  Then, with elastic thread in the bobbin, I ran 22 rows of parallel stitching (starting about 1 inch from the top edge) about 3/8" apart.  I made sure to back stitch at the beginning and end of each line of stitching to prevent the elastic thread from pulling out.

Then I sewed the edges together to make a tube.  I used a french seam for this seam, again to help keep the elastic thread from pulling out.

Then I made two straps but cutting fabric squares 3 inches wide and about 12 inches long.  I folded them along the center line, stitched them right sides together, and turned and pressed to make two long straps.  These I pinned in placed while the dress was being tried on, and then I stitched them close to the first row of shirring with a narrow zigzag bar tack.





Voila! All done.  And I had a tiny little scrap left over to make a matching dress for a baby doll.  Hers has just two straps that tie around her neck for a halter dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment