Friday, September 9, 2011

Next Up--Butterick See & Sew B5480 Peasant Top

A nice, simple project.  That's what I need next.  I've always loved peasant tops--especially paired up with a vest.  It makes such a cool, medieval look.  I've always loved the Renaissance Faire type garb, but I don't have the patience to wear all those skirts--or a corset, for that matter.  I wore a dress with a corset once, and truth to tell, I thought I looked awesome.  A few hours later, I decided I'd rather breathe than look good. Maybe I tied it too tight or something. :-)

But a peasant top?  That'll work for me.  I have some very pretty cotton/silk voile that I bought because it was on sale.  I have it in two colors--one is a coppery rust  and the other the manufacturer called hazelnut--it's a really pretty rosy tan that will look great with my skin tone.  They're both thin but not transparent. In fact, it's about as thin as a fabric can get and still be opaque.  So, I'm looking forward to this particular top.

I picked this pattern chiefly because it was simple and at $2.99 fairly inexpensive.  I suppose I could have drafted one myself (peasant tops are fairly easy and I have drafted my own in toddlers' sizes) but I am sometimes an impatient soul.  I want to trace, cut and sew without the fuss of making a muslin first.  That may turn out to be famous last words, but I'm thinking I can safely cut this out of my voile and have something wearable in a couple of hours at most.  I'm planning to make the sleeved version with the elastic around the neckline.  I may add a line of elastic beneath the bust as well, since tops that hang straight from the shoulders usually don't flatter my figure.

I think I'd like to pair it with a vest and jeans and probably heels.  I have a pair of platform clogs that will be just perfect.  I don't have a vest, though I do have some pretty embroidered suede cloth that I've been saving for a special project.  Hmmm.  Might have to make a vest to go with it, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment