Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Friday Night Sew-In -- Leatherworking project

Handmade by Heidi


Pop on over and sign up for the Friday Night Sew In this week.  I'm looking forward to it, that's for sure.

First of all, I need to drive to JoAnn's for the start of their weekend sale on Friday morning.  I'd like a few Burda's (which rarely go on sale), a few notions (like size 18 needles), and perhaps a replacement for my troubled iron, which is going to take at least 6 weeks to send it out for repair and get it back (but will only cost me shipping one way).

I'd like to finish up my volunteer sewing for SewMuchComfort first, which ought to take all of 15 minutes.  The only reason it's not already done is that I need to pick up a piece of velcro from the aforementioned fabic store.

Then, I'm hoping to fire up the treadle machine (okay, too much steampunk there -- all I really have to do is engage the belt -- but "fire up" sounds so much more interesting than "engage the belt")  and make a corset type belt out of a piece of really beautiful black leather I bought from FabricMart last year (I think).  It's garment weight, so I'll either have to line it with leather or a heavyweight twill to give it enough body to make a good belt.

I like these rather plain buckles that I ordered from a seller on Etsy and I'm thinking I'd like to fasten it with 2 or maybe 3 buckles. I have some fancier buckles, too, but I've noticed that I usually tend to pick plain and functional over fancy and delicate.  Who knows?  I might change my mind between now and Friday.  Sheesh. I might change my mind halfway through the project.  It's certainly happened before :o/

In any event, I've always thought those wide belts were really cool and I can't wait to make one for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment