Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Progress on the Boys' Coat--Pattern Traced

It's been a little tough to find sewing time so far this week, but I did manage to get the pattern completely traced out.  I had to spend some time reading the instructions, too, in order to be completely sure how many pieces were intended to be cut from both fabric and lining--somehow I found the markings on the pattern pieces to be a little obscure.  Maybe it's just that I'm not used to Burda patterns.

At any rate, all the pieces are traced and marked (correctly, I hope).   I washed, dried, and folded the lining fabric today, which is actually a really nice yarn-dyed Catalina shirting.  It wouldn't be my ideal choice of lining but it is the one that Youngest Son picked. 

I still have to choose a ribbing for the sleeves.  Interestingly enough, the ribbing cuffs are attached to the lining, not the actual sleeves, so that the jacket cuffs are close against the wrists for insulation but aren't actually visible.  The patch pockets and flaps are actually lined.  This is also the first kids' coat pattern I've seen that calls for shoulder pads. 

The more I see, the more I like it.  We're talking uber-classy coat here.  I'm even thinking about using leather for the elbow patches.  Black leather on the gray melton would look really cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment