Friday, May 18, 2012

The Precious Presser Foot Pressure

Can you say that title ten times really fast?  Me neither.

Sewing on another one of Jordan's shirts yesterday made it plain to me how much I appreciate my machine's presser foot pressure adjustment capability.  I was trying to sew the collar stand buttonhole, and the machine kept dropping stitches left and right.  Obviously a buttonhole with dropped stitches is not acceptable.

I tried a new needle, since I was sewing with cotton/lycra and couldn't remember when I'd last changed the needle.  But that didn't help.  Then, when trying the buttonhole that second time, I noticed the fabric pulling up just a bit with the needle.  Aha! I said to myself.  Not enough foot pressure.

Sure enough, increasing the pressure solved the problem. 

Years ago, I bought my first expensive (to me, anyway) sewing machine.  A computerized Kenmore, which stitched so beautifully and was astonishingly quiet when sewing.  It had programmable decorative stitches and a rather primitive alphabet, but it was my very first not-a-cheapy-from-Walmart.  I loved that machine. 

Until I tried to sew buttonholes with it.  As long as everything's flat and uncomplicated, it sews very nice buttonholes.  But throw in a seam allowance (like on a collar stand) and it's hopeless. 

I diagnosed this problem (correctly, I believe) as the lack of an adjustable presser foot.  Why a machine would have so many bells and whistles while neglecting something so vital is beyond me.  But there you have it.

Fast forward a few more years.  I'm now disillusioned with computerized machines and looking to get back to basics.  I choose a middle-of-the-road mechanical Kenmore this time, though it does have an electronic needle up/down function.  It also includes the adjustable presser foot.  Which in my opinion, is now a deal breaker for any sewing machine that I consider purchasing:  No adjustable presser foot pressure? No deal.

I still use that mechanical -- it's by far my favorite machine ever.  Well, except for the treadle machine.  I guess when I went back to basics, I wasn't kidding  :o)


No comments:

Post a Comment