Sunday, October 7, 2012

Knitted Fingerless Gloves


You know, it's really hard to take decent pictures of your own hands.  But here they are: my new fingerless gloves for this year.

Every year I usually make a new pair, simply because I either wear out the old pair or I get tired of them.  I wore my last pair for two years -- they were made of a multicolored yarn, primarily teal with some browns and yellows and white mixed in.  But teal doesn't go with virtually anything I own so I decided I needed a slightly more neutral-colored pair for this year.  Not that purple is exactly neutral, but it's better than teal.

There's no pattern, just an adaptation of instructions from Zimmerman's Knitting Without Tears, since it doesn't actually address fingerless gloves -- just mittens.  I learned to knit about 20 years ago from reading this book, so I have a nostalgic attachment to it.

The cuffs and the finger/thumb openings are simple 1 X 1 rib knit, the body is plain knit.  I made these using one circular needle instead of double pointed ones.  The yarn is a variegated superwash in merino wool.  It's pretty soft but still just the tiniest bit scratchier than my old teal ones.  I also think that I used a needle a little too small for the yarn.  It makes the gloves a little less stretchy than they could have been, but it also makes them denser and warmer, so it's probably okay.

I like the way these turned out -- they look a little like blueberry ice cream -- which I think is kinda neat.

4 comments:

  1. I love it. Nice work! :-) My daughter loves to wear gloves like these. I have heard of this book, but have not looked through it. Do you think this is a good project for someone learning to knit? I am going to show this to my daughter, and perhaps she can make herself a pair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amy. And, yes, I think it would be a great project for someone learning to knit. I learned to knit by making socks, and these are easier than that.

      Delete
  2. Elizabeth Zimmermann accomplished what she set out to do....teach us to think outside the box...and you certainly did that with these fingerless mitts. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I have a brown tweed yarn that I'd like to make another pair with and I'm pretty sure I'd like a black pair as well. Now if I just had more time...

      Delete