Friday, November 16, 2012

Pattern Review LBD Contest Dress -- The Pattern

B5664

I've decided on a pattern for my little black dress for the Pattern Review LBD contest.  It's Butterick 5664.  I've been having pretty good luck lately with Butterick patterns, so I thought I go for this one.  I'll have to adjust the side seams, since patterns always account for more of hip curve than I actually have, but other than that, Buttericks usually fit me fairly well.

I have a very nice, plain black wool gabardine, I think.  It has a twill weave and has a little bit of a sheen, but not much.  I think it was listed as "suiting" when I bought it, but so many things get that description, and I'm not a wool expert, that I'm not 100% sure how to classify it.  In any event, it is a very lovely fabric, with a crisp-ish hand but not at all scratchy.

 Edit 17Nov12  *Rats!  I went and looked it up, and I think this fabric is actually a flannel.  An expert I'm not, but I'm at least shooting for not looking (or sounding!) like an idiot :o/*

I haven't read the pattern yet, but I'm planning to line it with one of the many poly lining fabrics I have.  I'm not sure which color yet, but since it won't be seen by anyone but me, I don't really think it matters.

I'm going to finish the seams with a simple serger seam.  The fabric doesn't ravel, so a Hong Kong finish isn't necessary.  I'm reading that gabardines are a little hard to press, so I'm hoping I won't have any troubles there.

I like the jacket in this pattern, too.  Actually, I think I originally bought it for the jacket pattern.  I have a nice black and white herringbone wool that I think would look really nice over the dress.

Now, the next question is:  What kind of jewelry and/or accesories would you wear with a dress like this?  I rarely wear earrings, but I do have a pair with green agates (I think) set in an antiqued bronze setting.  Would those go with a black dress?  And do you think the dress needs a belt and if so, what kind?

No comments:

Post a Comment