Saturday, November 24, 2012

Pretty Jewelry Finds -- Victorian and Hippy(?)

I have only a few pieces of jewelry, primarily, I suppose, because I've spent the last 22 years raising kids who just love to pull on necklaces, pull out earrings (ouch!) and pull off glasses (contact lenses, here I come!).  But my kids are all older now, they haven't done any of those things in years, so I no longer have any excuse.  Besides, I like jewelry.  I like window shopping for jewelry, I like making jewelry, and I like wearing jewelry.  Almost as much as I like shoes :o)

So I've recently been expanding my collection.  I picked up this Victorian cuff bracelet last week from, of all places, Michael's (honestly, I went to get art supplies and I got dragged, against my will of course, to the jewelry aisles.  It really wasn't my fault).  It's small enough to actually fit me (not always a given) and even though I only paid $3.50 for it (during 40% off sale) it doesn't look too cheap. 

I absolutely adore the new Steampunk trend.  I mean, who can hate neo-Victorian?  I only wish I was able to attend more conventions and such so I would have an excuse to make one of the outrageous Steampunk costume patterns I couldn't resist buying.  But that doesn't stop me from buying and wearing some of the really nice costume jewelry that's made to cater to that crowd.

Now, granted, some of the stuff is downright silly.  I don't know why you would wear a pendant or a pin with a bunch of paper numbered invoice/receipt type things on it.  Doubtless it makes sense to the true Steampunk people.  And the need to stick gears on everything annoys my son, who is very neo-Victorian himself.

At the other end of the spectrum is the sort of organic, natural style.  This is style I like to wear often, too.  I found this pendant, also at Michael's (and also at 40% off).  I bought lengths of chain from Etsy a couple of years ago and I always have clasps on hand, so it was just a matter of making a chain and stringing the pendant on it.

So, I have two new pieces, now I just have to make something to go with them.



No comments:

Post a Comment