Saturday, August 27, 2011

Practical Sewing and Hurricane Delay

I had planned to make the Fringe Festival top this past weekend, but practical sewing got in my way.  It seems that Mother Nature decided to give us a cooler late summer this year, so I started making fall clothes for the kids.  Instead of cutting out my own top, I ended up spending my sewing time cutting out some long sleeve tees for my youngest son.

I use Kwik Sew 2894 to make kids' raglan tees.  I've been using this pattern for quite some time and I'm always pleased with the results.  The only thing that I have to change is that I always, no matter the size, shorten the pattern piece for the neckline ribbing.  Usually it's just 1/4 inch or so (for a full 1/2 inch shorter neckline binding), but sometimes it's a hair more.  I found that this makes the neckline binding lay flat against the neck and is much less likely to stretch out with time.

Assembly line style, I cut out one of brown organic jersey, one of slate blue jersey, one of slate blue and navy striped jersey, one that I color blocked using the two blues, and one of green and brown camouflage in thermal knit.  I have lots of different ribbing in my stash, so it's usually just a matter of picking the one that's the closest color match or using  a contrast color for a "ringer tee".

When it came time for sewing, I sewed the camo and the brown first and then changed serger thread for the three blue ones.  Four shirts with only a single thread change. I love efficiency.

But wait! That's only four.  What happened to the fifth one?

Naturally, I discovered (after putting all the fabric and pattern pieces away, of course) that for the blue jersey I cut out two shirt fronts instead of a front and a back--it couldn't be two backs, couldn't it?  Where I could just recut the neckline?  Noooo. It had to be two fronts. So now I will need to pull out the leftover blue jersey and cut another shirt back.  And since I hate wasting cut pattern pieces, I will have to cut another back and sleeves to use up that spare front. Not very efficient.  I'm afraid the two cancel each other out. 

But it will be six shirts with only one thread change.  That's not so bad.  And my son will have all the shirts he needs for a while.

Mother Nature also decided to send a hurricane our way...or perhaps by the time it gets to my little corner of New England it will simply be a tropical storm or a tropical depression.  I am expecting the electricity to be out for at least a little while, but if it isn't, I'm hoping to get that Fringe Festival top cut out tomorrow.  I don't (yet) have a treadle machine, though I learned (a million years ago it must be now) how to sew on one.  When I have a bigger sewing space, I expect to put one in the place of honor just as soon as I can get my greedy little paws on a old Singer like my mother's.  So the electricity can go out all it wants...I'll still be able to sew.

3 comments:

  1. May you be able to sew safely through whatever weather comes your way :) And you're embarrassing me into action - I DO have a treadle that isn't being used...I've cleaned up the machine, but the cabinet needs some attention...the space is designated.....all I need is time & energy......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assembly line sewing is the best! I have 4 new woven tank tops after a few hours of sewing. One B/W floral, another bright blues and yellows on a white background, and a small floral on white=>all used a white thread. Then a coral tank which necessitated a thread change.

    Your son will be so well dressed for school :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jilly Be--thank you for your well wishes...we had no electricity for about 6-7 hours this evening, but no major damage. I had an old treadle once, but it took oddly shaped bobbins (spindle shaped instead regular bobbin shape) and it needed some work that I never got around to doing. I still feel a little guilty that I let it get away from me (I ended up giving it away).

    Mary, I couldn't agree more...I love how much I get accomplished when I cut everything out first and then sew, sew, sew. My son loves his shirts, next I'm doing his new pants and then my daughter's dresses.

    ReplyDelete