Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Tracing Tissue Paper Patterns

So I would like to make myself a fall jacket.  I have a nice embroidered wool blend that I got at JoAnn's of all places and a Butterick pattern that I think will look great in this fabric.  And I always trace my patterns since it seems like the ones I like best invariably go out of print before I'm really done with them.

Grrrr.  I hate tracing patterns that are printed on tissue paper.  Once I lay my tracing paper over the top, the lines practically disappear.

Poster board to the rescue!  If you first put down a piece of white poster board, then the pattern tissue, then your tracing paper, the lines are so much easier to see and trace.  By no means are they as easy as Kwik Sew or Jalie or any other pattern printed on real paper.  But easier.

This jacket has 13 pattern pieces.  Remind me to breathe.


And remind me to hang up the poster board when I'm done.  I punch a hole in mine and hang it on the wall.  That way it never gets mangled or beat up and is always handy at tracing time.

2 comments:

  1. I hope the tracing goes well. I'm not much for tracing tissue but I probably should be so I don't have to buy the same patterns more then once. I have had some success with laying a Kwik Sew pattern upside down under the tissue since they are about the same size. Again not easy but makes it workable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I use butcher paper from the supermarket and iron my tissue paper pattern to it before I cut the butcher paper is waxed so blood does not go through you can also iron butcher paper on most fabric I use the nylon setting so it comes right off again

    ReplyDelete