Monday, November 21, 2011

Girl's Dresses 2 of 3 -- The Knit Wrap Dress

This dress is the second installment of my girls' fashion rebellion series -- making winter dresses from Spring fabrics.  Very pretty sprigs of  flowers on a purple background.  This fabric came from JoAnn's a couple of months ago.  It's a fairly heavyweight cotton interlock that is warm enough to be a winter fabric -- even though it's a spring or summertime print.

I used the cardigan pattern for the armscyes and sleeves and the shirt pattern for the front and back from Jalie's Twinset pattern.  Then I just altered the front piece to make the wrap neckline.  I know that Jalie makes a wrap top in sizes for little girls and I've made it for both Daughter and myself.  I have to admit, though, that I don't really like it very much .  The sleeves are too tight and the neckline gapes too much.  Sizing up fixes the sleeve problem but makes the gaping problem worse.  Besides, I don't like the neckline construction so much, either (sorry, Jalie!).

It was actually easier for me to adjust the Twinset pattern, so that's what I did.

After making the top, I ran the full width (61 inches) through the ruffler after determining the length by subtracting the length of the top (after accounting for seam allowances and hem) from the shoulder-to-hem measurement.  Then, I simply serged the skirt to the top and hemmed.

Voila!  New dress!

No comments:

Post a Comment