This dress is the second installment of my girls' fashion rebellion series -- making winter dresses from Spring fabrics. Very pretty sprigs of flowers on a purple background. This fabric came from JoAnn's a couple of months ago. It's a fairly heavyweight cotton interlock that is warm enough to be a winter fabric -- even though it's a spring or summertime print.
I used the cardigan pattern for the armscyes and sleeves and the shirt pattern for the front and back from Jalie's Twinset pattern. Then I just altered the front piece to make the wrap neckline. I know that Jalie makes a wrap top in sizes for little girls and I've made it for both Daughter and myself. I have to admit, though, that I don't really like it very much . The sleeves are too tight and the neckline gapes too much. Sizing up fixes the sleeve problem but makes the gaping problem worse. Besides, I don't like the neckline construction so much, either (sorry, Jalie!).
It was actually easier for me to adjust the Twinset pattern, so that's what I did.
After making the top, I ran the full width (61 inches) through the ruffler after determining the length by subtracting the length of the top (after accounting for seam allowances and hem) from the shoulder-to-hem measurement. Then, I simply serged the skirt to the top and hemmed.
Voila! New dress!