Thursday, December 1, 2011

Progress on the Leather Cap Part 2

Today's status report:  Very Close To Being Finished

Last night I was able to stitch the visor and work the plastic stiffener into it.  Then I stretched the leather tight, clipped it all in place, and left it overnight to settle.

This makes it easier to sew as the leather will conform (sort of) to the position it's been clipped into.

I also stitched the crown to the side pieces last night.  There are two side pieces -- something I wish could be otherwise but to cut it as a single piece would take a fairly large piece of leather.

Today, I took on the scariest part: stitching the visor to the hat band.  This is the part of the operation that is the most difficult and the least forgiving.  You must stitch the curved visor, with its plastic insert, to the straight hat band -- sandwiched between the leather outer piece and its cotton twill liner.  And of course, in leather, you only get one chance at it.

It went so well, I decided to keep going.

I attached the hat band to the hat sides and, really, the thing is all finished.  As I type, I am waiting for my iron to heat up so I can bind the inner seam where the twill tends to fray and get kind of messy

Pictures hopefully tomorrow as this hat really looks its best on a model and it definitely doesn't fit little me :o)


  1. Wow I can't imagine only having one shot. Looks like you did great though.

  2. Thank you. I think it's easier on a treadle machine because it makes me sew more slowly and carefully than I might otherwise sew. As long as I take the seam 1/4 or 1/2 inch at a time, everything will probably be okay :o)