Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Simplicity 4022 -- First Version Finished!




It's more of a wearable muslin, I suppose, since I like the way it turned out, but it's definitely not perfect.  It's only a muslin, though, since the sewing was a little more complicated than I expected, the pattern pieces didn't fit together as nicely as I'd like, and I got bored putting the zipper in so the midriff bands at center back don't match up properly.  I was also too lazy to finish the seams.

And the pattern isn't really designed for a stripe, (since the midriff bands are a little curved) and it shows.



I'll be making the for-real version next, with a few small alterations.  The style is nice, and the front gathering doesn't make me look pregnant like is so often the case with patterns similar to this.

 I like the neckline, though I may raise it just a tad.  On the other hand, it looks nice with my butterfly cameo, so I may just leave it alone.  It's a little lower cut than I usually wear, but I think I'm okay with that.

What I will do, however, is change the construction techniques.  I like the way the front panel is set into the side fronts, but I don't really like the way the rest of the lining pieces or the midriff band is attached.  Simplicity has you complete the lined bodice before attaching the midriff band, and I think I'd rather attach the midriff band to the lining and the shell separately and then join everything together.  And I will set the sleeves in flat, since I really don't like circular sleeve setting and only do it when I absolutely have to, like with two piece sleeves.

I'm going to take out some of the sleeve cap ease, since the sleeve have a bit than is strictly necessary, and I had to put the right sleeve in a couple of times to take it all up.  I really see no need for so much ease, since my other shirts fit just fine with less.

I also need to lengthen the midriff bands (or at least find out what the problem was) since I had to do an awful lot of easing to get the pieces to fit together.  I think the midriff pieces simply aren't long enough, but I'm going to check that first before I make any assumptions.

I'm also going to use an invisible zipper instead of a lapped one, mostly because I don't have a matching zipper for the fabric I want to use, but I do have an invisible one.

The fabric will be a nice black rayon printed with tiny peach flowers.  Very pretty, but I can't take a picture right now since it's currently in the washing machine :o)

I'm also thinking this will look really cute as a shorter length dress.  If I have enough of the black fabric, I might just add 18 inches or so to the length and turn this into one.

No comments:

Post a Comment