Friday, May 25, 2012

Ravelling Buttonholes -- Yikes!

There is nothing -- and I mean nothing -- worse than making a dress shirt only to discover that the buttonholes start to unravel after the first couple of washings.  Well, okay, maybe there are lots of things worse than that, but you all know what I mean.

I've made lots of shirts for Jordan.  I've never felt like I had to do anything special to secure the threads of the buttonholes because I've never actually had one come undone.   Until now.  It's those black shirts with the woven herringbone pattern. 

They wrinkle, too.  Horribly.  But I digress.

I can fix the buttonholes. It's not a fun task, at least not to me, but I can do it.  I'd much rather do the buttonholes right the first time.

 I know lots of people use fray check, but I've never liked using fray check in buttonholes -- I just don't like fray check, I guess.  It's scratchy.  I don't like scratchy things.  So I thought I'd shoot for another solution.

When I made the olive green shirt out of this fabric, I tried pulling the top thread to the underside -- you can do this if you gently tug the bobbin thread and then grab the loop that forms -- and knotting the two together.  This holds the threads of the buttonhole together so that it can't unravel.  The only trouble was that there was these two little thread tails on every single buttonhole.

On the next shirt, I took those thread tails, threaded them onto a needle, and ran them under the stitches of the buttonhole on the underside for a quarter inch or so, and then clipped them.

Now the threads are secure and it looks good on the inside, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment