Friday, March 8, 2013

New Coat of Wool Melton

I got my fabric washed and hung to dry last night and so I'm ready to go with a new coat for myself.  I'm going to make another version of Butterick 5685.

The first version I made in the Fall of 2011 and I've been wearing it as my winter coat ever since.  I wear a wool sweater underneath it when it is particularly cold, but for the most part, it is a very cozy country winter coat.

What I'd like now is a city coat.

My plan is to make the Butterick coat in its shortest length, and give it at least two inside pockets so I have places to put my stuff.  When I go to the city, I hate carrying a purse -- not because I'm afraid of purse snatchers -- but because I hate having my hands perpetually tied up with holding something, so I've decided pockets are a must.

My fabric is a smoke colored dark charcoal wool melton that I got from Fabric.com a couple of years ago.  I really bought it as more of a jacket rather than a coat fabric so it's not that really thick coating melton, but the lighterweight jacket variety.  I think it'll be fine, though.

So why am I making a new coat this late in the season, with Spring just around the corner?  We're planning another trip into Boston, to see the Dropkick Murphys in concert, and I need a new coat :o)  With any luck, I'll get a new pair of shoes, too.  Specifically, these from http://www.onlineshoes.com.  Classy or what?




No comments:

Post a Comment