Friday, January 24, 2014

An Old Quilt Friend

I thought I'd introduce you to one of my old quilts.  This one was made in 2005.  I know this because it's the first quilt that I embroidered the date on the corner.    It's been in use since then, and it was one of those blankets I tried using a microfleece blanket for a backing.  I had to seam the blanket to make it fit the top and then it frayed at the seam and came apart.  And the top tore where the strings were tied from too much stress.  It other words, I messed it up six different ways to next week.  I repaired it as best as I could, and 8 1/2 years later, I now know better, and I won't make those same mistakes again.  I'll probably make other ones instead, but that's besides the point.

No matter all it's flaws, I still think the top is pretty, and Storm at Sea, while by no means a very difficult pattern, is kind of fun and interesting, and is likely my favorite patchwork pattern to date. I would love to do a wall hanging in this pattern with the small pink squares being 1" or 2" and the rest of the pieces in proportion to that.  Now that would be quite a project...

No comments:

Post a Comment