Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Progress on the Girls' Cape Part 2

This project is going well and I am just about finished.  I made the trial version in the pink fleece and it turned out very nicely.  The fit is good, too, though the neckline is a bit wider than I intended.  It's not enough to send me back to the drawing board, it's just not perfect  :)

I'm going to use this to line the cape.  Even though the sequins on the butterflies might be a little troublesome as a lining, I think it will be better than the wool melton to have against your skin.

Maybe it's not quite accurate to call it a lining, since the cape is actually reversible and can be turned "inside out" to have the butterflies on the outside and the melton on the inside.  Not a bad situation as long as one is wearing long sleeves.

Speaking of the melton, I also finished the shell of the cape, too.  I wanted to put some kind of decoration on the hem, but when I measured the length of all the edges, I discovered I didn't have any ribbon that would work.  It's 16 3/4 feet.  That's alot of ribbon.  Besides, I didn't have 16 3/4 feet of ribbon of any kind, let alone something that would match this color.  It wasn't until later that I realized it would have been impossible to stitch a wide ribbon on a hem that has this much curve anyway.  Whew.  Saved by living 35 minutes from the nearest fabric store.

Let me say that I don't have an embroidery machine.  I never wanted one.  Until now.  Instead of the ribbon, I used the decorative stitches on my Kenmore 19233 to stitch the embroidery on these edges.  It took three passes to make this motif.  3 times 16 3/4 feet is 50 feet.  It took me 2 1/2 hours to stitch 50 feet of decorative stitches.

I'm tired.  I think I'll finish this cape later.

No comments:

Post a Comment