Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Me Made May Days 3 - 6




Day 3:  I made this modified Jalie Sweetheart Top a couple of years ago.  I think I was trying to morph the top into a dress, and so I added princess seams -- which on this print you can't see that well -- so I would have a vehicle for a somewhat full skirt.  I never did it.  But I still like the shirt.

Day 4:  The most expensive piece of fabric I've ever bought -- $16 a yard for this deep red wool terry cloth-type fabric.  (Of course that may change if I cave in and buy that Hello Kitty Liberty of London.  Then that will be the most expensive piece of fabric I've ever bought.)  It's 100% wool and was made in Japan.  It took me weeks of agonizing over the price before I bought it from Denver Fabrics.  But it's easily one of my favorite shirts.  The pattern is the Jalie empire top.  I've made this in black, too, and somehow the bodice just doesn't fit quite right. I haven't gotten around to fixing it just yet.  I'll get to that one of these days.


Despite my best efforts, I just couldn't
get a clear pic of this one



Day 5: Rayon Scoopnecked Top with shirred front.  Also a Jalie pattern.  I bought this rayon from Denver Fabrics, too.  It's very smooth and a very stable knit jersey.  It has very little stretch, so I had to size up to make this fabric work with the pattern.  But I like these shirred front tops.  Got a whole bunch of 'em.




Day 6:  Drawstring linen pants.  I made these so many years ago, I can't remember how long I've had them.  I do remember I bought this linen from Joann's before I did any online shopping -- and that started in 2005 (gulp!).  There was no pattern for these.  I think I just laid a pair of my pants on top of the folded fabric and cut out around them.  I'm amazed they fit.  But they do and they're very comfortable.







I tried my hand at silk ribbon embroidery at one point, so the decoration on the pants leg is my work as well.  For a first try, I think it turned out pretty good.  The cuffs were done to mimic the cuffs of martial arts gear.

No comments:

Post a Comment