Thursday, December 6, 2012

Progress on the Girls' Burda Coat

Every time I make another coat, I am reminded how much I enjoy working with them.  Especially ones made with wool.  I think I'm going to seriously work on my tailoring skills and make jackets for everyone in the family: a husband, three sons, and a daughter.  That should keep me busy for a while.

Daughter's coat is progressing nicely.  It took sometime to figure out what to cut out and then cut it all out.  Burda's instructions seem to be a bit...shall we say...sparse.  Which I don't mind.  I feel like they somehow give me credit for intelligence when they don't write out the no-brainer instructions.  Perhaps I would feel differently if the construction of the coat didn't seem so obvious to me.

Daughter chose a spruce green lining fabric.  It's just polyester, but I've used it for lining a number of wool garments, and it's really very nice.  I'm now down to my last couple of yards of it.

The fabrics are wool plain weave flannels.  I like the way the plaid and the rose go together.  The top bodice and the pocket flaps of the coat will be in the plaid.

The facings and collar will be in the rose.  I'm hoping this isn't too crazy a combination.  I like the plaid, but too much plaid is just too much plaid.  I wanted the whole coat to be in the rose, but I just didn't have quite enough.

Pockets made of the lining material, pocket flaps are plaid and the piping is gray.  It's not real piping -- it doesn't actually have any cord in it.  It's just a strip folded in half and sewn into the waist seam and around the edges of the pocket flaps.

So that's where we're at so far.


  1. Just your cutting out and pre-planning are full of thought! Can't wait to see the finished jacket - lucky daughter...

    1. Thank you :o) I like to have everything all worked out in advance. Sometimes it reduces the amount of time I spend ripping, other times not so much :o/