Monday, November 23, 2020

Newest Addition 1931 Singer

My newest baby.  A 1931 Singer in a beautiful bent wood case.  I found this at my local Goodwill way back before COVID happened.  It's taken me some time to get her into good shape, but she got her last oiling last night and I spent several hours sewing with her.  Beautiful!  And so quiet!

I was working yesterday on a new quilt.  It's just random fabric scraps that I didn't try very hard to match or make a nice pattern with.  I don't know.  It's probably the ugliest quilt I've ever made.  For some reason, I decided to do the piecing last year more out of duty to use up those scraps than any real desire to make a quilt or any real creativity.  


As a result, I could probably win the ugly quilt contest hands down.  I suggest.  No, I implore.  Please don't ever do this to yourself. 

I am however, determined to press on.  I will free motion quilt the squares in sections that are 25"x25" and go ahead and make it anyway.  This is the first time I've used Insulbright instead of cotton batting, so I will be curious as to whether or not it is actually warmer than a regular quilt.  Any of you have experience using Insulbright?

2 comments:

  1. I've used Insulbright for hot pads. It might be warmer than a regular batting, but will probably result in a stiffer, less cuddly quilt. Then again, I haven't washed much Insulbright so maybe it softens up after washing?

    I like your quilt, and it's FAR from ugly. I love scrappy quilts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Gail. We are all our own worst critic, right?

      I use insulbright for potholders, too. They're my absolute favorites in the kitchen. I'll never go back to buying pot holders unless they're really cute and just for decoration.

      Delete