Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Progress on the Leather Cap

I pulled out my leather today and chose the appropriate skins for the Leather Cap.  The visor is made of a walnut colored leather, slightly shinier than the leather I used for the body of the cap, and reinforced with the plastic from a large empty jug.  I'd really like to get some pre-made plastic visors one of these days, but they tend to be too large and difficult to cut -- scaling them down is quite a project and one I'm not up to right now.

The other leather is of a slightly heavier weight and has more of a distressed finish -- not shiny at all.  It is an interesting combination.

I need to cut a hat band for the inside, yet, and possibly a lining as well.  I'll use plain brown twill for the inside hat band and, well, I haven't decided about the lining yet.  I won't need it for a while so I have time to think about how I want to do that.

I put a leather needle in my treadle machine and threaded it up with some buttonhole twist.  Man, oh, man, this machine sews beautiful stitches.  As a test, I sewed myself a nice little leather case for my camera.  Didn't turn out too badly, considering that I was running the machine through its paces.  Had to get my husband to tighten the belt a little, but other than that, all was well.

Tonight I'm going to turn on some music and try to make a little more progress on this project.

2 comments:

  1. I will be watching this project intently-my husband lives for these leather caps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like these hats, too. I'd make one for myself, but I'm not much of a hat person -- the ones I've made or bought for myself ended up spending all their time hanging on a hook in the hallway.

    ReplyDelete