Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Next Up -- Leatherworking Projects

First up is a hat for my son that I adapted from Vogue 8309 (I believe it's now out of print).  I made this one already a couple of years ago, but that one has since gotten lost (or at least misplaced) and a request has been issued for a new one.  You can read about the adventure I had sewing the first one at this review on PatternReview.com.

I'm expecting the second copy to go alot better.  Experience plus a sewing machine that is better equipped to handle the challenge gives me a feeling of confidence that I hope isn't misplaced.

Daniel Day Lewis as Bill "the Butcher" Cutter
and Leonardo DiCaprio as Amsterdam Vallon
in the 2002 film "Gangs of New York
directed by Martin Scorsese

Here's the inspiration.  The character Amsterdam from Scorsese's 2002 film, Gangs of New York wears a modified newsboy cap for much of the film.

Very cool.



Here's the one I made in 2008.  We chose a somewhat darker leather than the film version for the top of the hat and a walnut dyed leather for the visor.  I still have enough leather and the pattern, so with any luck, making a duplicate should be a fairly straight forward project.

Famous last words  ;o)

No comments:

Post a Comment