Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Progress on Men's Shirt -- Jalie 2111

I finished cutting, interfacing, and sewing the new collar last night.  It was still a little tight getting it into the neckline, though.  It's possible I stretched the neckline while handling the fabric pieces (3/8 inch seam allowances don't help there, either), but it's also just as possible that this fabric just doesn't ease that well.



I found it impossible to use the feed dogs to ease the neckline into the collar; I had to run a line of ease stitching instead, but in the end I prevailed.  If you're at all familiar with this (or any other, really) men's shirt pattern, you'll see that I altered the shape of the collar stand (I left off the collar on purpose, since I think these shirts sometimes look great with just the stand).  I narrowed the collar stand and then took off the front curve and replaced it with a just barely rounded front edge.  I like it much better this way.

That was all I had time for yesterday.  So the underarm/side seams remain unsewn, the cuffs are not attached, and there are no buttons or buttonholes.  No time to sew today, but with any luck I'll get this shirt done tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment