Monday, December 12, 2011

Getting My Enthusiasm Back!

It's been a couple of weeks since I've gotten really excited about any of my projects, but I think that's finally coming to an end.

Yesterday, I spent alot of the day sewing and got one pending project finished and another one started.

The pending project was a pair of pants for my youngest son.  I've been pushing the pieces around since September, when I cut out a whole bunch of pants for him in different colors (like black, brown, olive, and tan) and I made up all the pairs but one.  That last pair, I finally cut out and assembled cargo pockets for them and put that pair together. 


The project I started was a button-down shirt for my husband.  I got the most beautiful lightweight canvas from FabricMart last week in a chocolate brown.  One side is brushed so it is almost flannelly and soft and the other side is a nice, practical plain weave.  It is very high quality, gorgeous stuff and I'm am so glad I bought 8 yards of the stuff (mostly because I want to use it to make a pair of pants for ME!).

I am using Jalie 2111 to make this shirt.  I've made it several times already in different sizes, so I'm familiar with the pattern, though last night, for some reason, I couldn't get the collar to fit into the neckline.  Not sure what I was doing wrong, but I always take it as a sign to quit sewing when simple operations become too difficult for me to execute.

It may have been some of the alterations I made to the pattern, so I'll have to check on that today.  I eliminated the back yoke and I changed the shape of the collar, so I might've made a mistake in there somewhere.  Or maybe I just got too tired to sew last night.





By the way, I love Jalie's sleeve plackets.  They look totally classy on the front...










And just as classy on the back.

I've taken to using these sleeve plackets no matter which shirt pattern I'm using, I like them so much.



So, I got the pieces cut out and the front bands, sleeve plackets, and shoulder seams sewn.  Not bad for a project I only started yesterday.  What's left?

I need to cut, interface, and sew a new collar first.  Then put the rest of the shirt together and then comes the really hard part:  choosing the perfect buttons.

No comments:

Post a Comment