Saturday, October 5, 2013

A Quick Look at New England in Fall

Possibly our loveliest time of year.  I do have the tendency to skip doing things inside for the opportunity to get out into the crisp Fall air.  Yesterday was our first walk of autumn.

Doesn't this path look like it goes somewhere strange and mysterious and possibly even magical?

This is the first time I've really noticed any trees turning pink in the Fall.  I've probably just not paid enough attention.  This path parallels the Housatonic River and most of the leaves are yellow and brown -- there are definitely more reds on the higher hillsides.  We've started our collection of Fall leaves to be pressed between two layers of wax paper. 

We saw some wildlife, too.  I hadn't the presence of mind to bring my camera along, but my phone takes not-terrible pictures. 
Meet Mr. Leopard Moth caterpillar.  I hear these guys can grow up to 3 inches long.  This one is only about an inch and a half

Then we have Mr. Tree Frog.  The little round pads on all his toes make it possible for him to cling to vertical objects.  Like trees.  It was hard to get a good picture of this cute little guy.  He was convinced I was a bird trying to eat him.  I guess having some large creature looming over me might make me panic, too.

And if you're creeped out by spiders, don't take too close a look at this picture.  This is a funnel web, spun into a recess into a large rock face.  If you click on it and look closely into the funnel, you can see that I managed to capture a snapshot of the spider before it, too, decided I was a hungry bird and moved out of sight.

So, while I have no sewing news, I thought you all might be interested in a little New England outdoor life.  I'm hoping to take a trip up north next week and see what else we can find.  I remember the camera and try to get better shots than these, though I think these aren't too bad, all things considered.

3 comments:

  1. Love autumn too, beautiful colours everywhere.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I get to see every day what tourists come to my area to visit specially. Leaf peeping is actually a season for us -- it means lots of tourists on the road, driving slowly and admiring the view.

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Leaf Peeping country here too, and it was a lovely year...most are gone now, but some remain...even walking out of work to my car is a feast for the eyes....:)

    ReplyDelete