Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Sock Mania!

I love socks! Knitting them is such a satisfying endeavor, and they don't take nearly as long a knitting a sweater.  I'm trying to cultivate enough patience to knit a sweater this winter, but I'm not sure if I'll succeed.  I'm thinking if I use the bulky type yarn, I might be able to get through the sweater knitting process with all of my hair intact -- I think there's thousands of less stitches compared to using worsted yarn.  Maybe after a success with the bulky, I'll feel more confident about trying something more advanced.

Especially since I came across this very pretty sweater pattern on Ravelry .  I think I'm going to buy both the adults and the kids versions.

But until then, I'm making socks!  This one is made of a self striping fine baby yarn.  100% wool, but so soft and nice against the skin. I bought this yarn several years ago, and it's been aging in my very tiny yarn stash.  I love the self-striping yarns because you get these neat stripes without trying to juggle several balls of yarn at once -- not one of my skills.  Which is why I took a break from actually finishing this pair of wool/bamboo socks and started on a separate project. Did I ever mention that I have this awful habit of working on several projects at once so that it always takes 3 times as long to get anything finished?

Anyway, the socks are for Daughter, and she's very insistent (but also very polite about it) that she "just can't wait until they're done!"  So, for her, I will get right on it and get these finished as fast as I can.  The first sock took about four days, working on it whenever I have time, so I guess the second will be done in another four days.  Just over a week from start to finish is pretty good progress.


No comments:

Post a Comment