Monday, November 4, 2013

Progress on the Boy's Burda Coat

I've been knitting this week, rather than sewing, so I haven't worked on Youngest Son's coat at all.  But last night, I sat down with it, only to discover that all the crossing seams in the underarm made so much bulk (between the lining, the insulation layer, and the outer fabric) that it was amazingly uncomfortable.  So I got out my handy dandy seam ripper and opened up all the crossing seams at the underarm in an attempt to find a solution.  I think I'm going to press all the seam allowances open and sew them down to avoid the lumps and bumps that want to form.

Other than that, I've got the buttonhole placements all tailored tacked, so it should be easy sailing from here.

I've got Daughter's second sock about half-finished so I'll be wrapping that project up pretty soon, too.  Then I'll have to decide what to do next.  Should it be a dress for me, a shirt for the husband, or trousers for one of the sons?  Decisions, decisions.

On a separate note, I was looking around on the Nordstom's site the other night and found this pretty wool knit dress.  What amazed me was that it is strikingly similar to a dress I made early this year.  Except that mine didn't cost $995.00.  Ouch.  Mine's also 100% merino wool, and it has princess seams, so I recognize that there is substantial differences.  But still.

My cost?  Wool knit: ~$30.  Pattern was self drafted, so pretty much free.  Thread: ~$5.00.

So can I say that my sewing hobby just saved me $960.00? :o) 

3 comments: