Tuesday, June 16, 2020

I'm Stuck On You, Baby Clothes

Idly shopping at Michael's one evening after work (I was working as the costume designer for a 10 minute play festival) before COVID-19 made such window shopping impossible, I came across the cute yarn collection in the clearance aisle.  5 small balls of yarn in somewhat coordinating colors, intended for small projects and simple color patterning.  In a merino wool/nylon blend.  I am constitutionally incapable of passing up merino wool at a good price.  I bought it.  And then realized I needed a set of needles to go with it.  So I bought those, too, and trundled my way home through the cold, blowing January winds.

Aha! Granddaughter needs a hat, I said.  Perfect.

This was the final result.  I had no real plan, I just kind of winged the patterning, just plain old striping really, as I went along.  The whole hat is done in K1, P1 ribbing knit which made the decreases in the stitches for the hat shaping rather clumsy, but I think it turned out pretty cute nonetheless.  DIL loved it.  Granddaughter wasn't so sure she liked anything on her head.  Alas, in the manner of all babies, she grew out of it very quickly.  But still likes the tassel on the point, so the hat graduated from the hated (or at least disliked :o) hate is such a strong term) item of clothing to a coveted toy whose tassels she likes to hold in her hand and squish it in that delightfully squishy way that merino squishes.  Win, win.  And I have no doubt that Granddaughter will have a little brother or sister sometime in the next few years, so it's a good hat to pass on to the siblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment