Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year, Everybody! Top 5 of 2013

Title says it all, I suppose.  Lots of folks are doing a Top 5 this year, so I thought I'd throw one out there, too.  I have several projects that I never got around to blogging about (I've had the most busy December ever!) so I'll only include the ones I've blogged.

The Top 5 Best
Always tough, because I like most of what I make, but let me see if I can narrow it down.

5. I had a blast with the Pattern Review One Pattern Many Looks contest way back in January of 2013.  Did I win?  Nope.  Do I care?  Nope neither.  Because two of my favorite dresses were made as entries for that contest.  Number 5 is this black cotton lycra knit princess seam dress.  I wore this all year for all kinds of occasions.  If it turned into a rag tomorrow, I still got my money's worth out of it already.











4.  Number 4 is this awesome Kwik Sew vest I made for my youngest son last winter.  Made of lightweight wool suiting and lined with an acetate (I think) jacquard lining, I think he looks great in this outfit.  I'd like to make him some more button down shirts, one or two vest in other colors, and perhaps even some trousers in the coming year.
3.  Jalie's Stretch Jeans pattern, slightly modified with cargo pockets hits Number 3 on the list.  If I'd sewn these with just a teensy bit more length in the inseam, I'd probably wear them a bit more.  Nest pair gets an extra two inches, since I like my pants a bit long.  Interestingly enough, this is another Pattern Review Contest Entry, this time the Mini Wardrobe Contest.

Sharing Number 3 is the sister to Number 5 -- the green wool knit princess seam dress.  I've worn this one regularly ever since the weather got cold, and I absolutely adore it.  It's warm and beautiful.  And it's plainness means I can dress it up any way I wish.  And it gave me an excuse to buy a new pair of boots to go with it *evil grin*












2.  Number 2 is another Jalie and another contest entry: The Jalie Women's Stretch Woven Shirt. Made of a stretch linen that I so wish I'd bought more of, this shirt probably gets worn at least once a week.  Next time around it gets more length in the sleeves and more length in the body.  Just an inch or two, I think.  I do believe I'm starting to see a pattern here.
















1.  Ah... but my all-time favorite project of 2013 is this Butterick Dress for Daughter!!!  Made with a high quality quilting cotton from JoAnn's that Daughter picked out herself, this is another dress that gets worn often and is well-loved.  And I think my daughter looks absolutely beautiful in it.

If you're not interested in kids' clothes, then you probably won't care, but if you are, then I must tell you:  This is the nicest girls' dress pattern that I've used in a really long time, and I cannot recommend it enough.

Well, it looks as though an awful lot of my favorites were created as contest entries.  Guess that means I'll be joining more contests in the coming year...

No comments:

Post a Comment