Friday, July 22, 2011

Next Up -- Strappy Sundress

Well, it's 95 degrees today in my little corner of New England, and while I'm used to crazy weather, the heat is definitely starting to get to me.  I went hunting through my closet last night looking for something cool to wear, only to discover that I have very few dresses that are comfortable in 90 degree+ heat.  So tomorrow's project is going to be a strappy knit sun dress.

I don't have a binder attachment for my coverstitch machine, but I'm thinking that I can use the ladder stitch on my sewing machine for attaching the binding.  I've done binding like this before using a zigzag, but I think the ladder stitch looks nicer and it gives me an excuse to use one of the many stitches that I hardly ever even look at.

The pattern is one I developed for myself last year as a slip to wear under a knit dress I made whose fabric, a luscious rayon/lycra blend, was a little too sheer for my taste.  I took my favorite tank top pattern, redrafted the front and back necklines, bound all the edges except the hem, and ran an extra length of binding from the front edges for straps that I attached to the back.  It's a simple pattern, but sometimes the simplest ones are the best.

The fabric is going to be a cotton lycra.  I have several from a line of premium knits that I bought last year.  A couple of cool geometric prints, a couple of Japanese-like floral prints, or possibly a solid black.  I'm not sure that I really want a Little Black Dress right now, I've made three dresses so far out of the florals, so I'm leaning heavily toward the geometrics.

It looks like a plan.  With any luck, I'll get started tonight and hopefully have it finished by tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment